Health benefit of ocean air
The mere fact of breathing fresh air energizes us in a totally different way than when we inhale the polluted city air. Therefore, it`s important that you know what happens in your body when you breathe the sea air.
This is one of the many reasons to sail.
What makes the sea air so healthy?
Before explaining what the benefits of breathing sea air are, it is good to clarify how it manages to provide so many. This comes from its components and characteristics:
- Oxygen: in general, the planet’s air has 21% oxygen. But it is next to the sea where the air has a greater concentration of this element essential for life. The result is simple, the more oxygen available, the more our body can take advantage of it.
- Temperature: to have a minimum and moderate maximum, thanks to the regulatory effect of the sea, which is beneficial for the respiratory tract.
- Humidity: due to the effect of the sea and the atmospheric pressure, it turns out that on the coast there is more relative humidity in the environment, which is beneficial for cleaning the airways.
- Nutrients: in its composition, the sea air has ozone and trace elements (such as zinc, potassium, iodine or iron), which are nutrients that can be incorporated into the body through respiration.
- Ions: are particles in the air that may have a positive or negative charge. The most beneficial are the negative ions, which are generated in natural environments where there are water currents. This way, close to the sea there can be more than 50 thousand negative ions per cubic meter. This, as you will see later, translates into many benefits.
The benefits of breathing sea air
If you thought that breathing that rich air by the sea only helps the respiratory problems, fortunately, you were wrong. Thanks to the high amount of negative ions in the sea air, this will help you not only to relax and clear your mind, but also:
- It stimulates neurotransmitters.
- It endorses the production of serotonin.
- It helps you fall asleep.
- It restores the PH of the skin.
- It helps to cleanse the respiratory system.
You should also know that it acts as a natural spray, which works perfectly for the regulation of the thyroid gland. And, due to humidity, it promotes the expulsion of mucus. By inhaling more pure oxygen, you will keep your respiratory system clean and strong, promoting general well-being and emotional balance.
There are scientific studies that managed to demonstrate the degree of breathing sea breeze in the decrease of asthma symptoms. Being close to the sea, the patients with this and other pulmonary diseases, cough less and manage to feel the symptoms of their respiratory diseases reduced.
As this air comes from the ocean it`s not polluted, nor it contains irritating gases typical of industrialized cities. This helps to reduce the problems of respiratory obstruction, in addition to strengthening the immune system.
Technique to take a full advantage of that air
You already know all the benefits of breathing the sea air, so make the most of them with a deep breath. Inhaling deeply will take you to total lung capacity. This helps to give more air to the lungs and mobilize more of these areas.
To achieve this, nothing better than doing breathing exercises. A very simple one is the 4 -4 -7 rule. You just have to follow three simple steps:
- Inspire slowly for 4 seconds.
- With your lungs full, hold your breath for 4 seconds.
- Exhale all the air for 7 seconds.
It`s ideal to repeat these steps at least 7 times, and shortly you will find yourself more relaxed and oxygenated.
You should know that during the day, the benefits of breathing the sea air are better utilized. The nutrients in it are more abundant during the daytime hours when the wind blows from the sea towards the land.
So now you know, the hours in the sun on the shore of the beach will not only bring you tan but great benefits for your health.